Sunday, January 12, 2014

Villainous Times: Anti-Church


My Experience be,

I am not anti any religion, though I am opposed to certain sects, denominations and cults. I am anti establishment of comfort which is to say, the majority of churches in our 1st world society today. Where once C.S. Lewis mentioned the church as a global entity spanning all space and time, when he spoke of the whole. Where once the church had many goals it sought stand up to meet, for the sake of peace the living embodiment of love in the moment, today the church is mostly about comfort.

C.S Lewis, ' In the same way the Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs.'

Somewhere along the way, probably at the beginning of the industrial revolution, we forgot what it means to live like Christ, which is to love. Certainly with the arrival of romance in popular culture what love is has become deluded. Some think it is a sexual encounter, and rightly so, the media has done a great job selling woman's equality for money. Others believe love is 'a spark' or an emotion which can be lost or gained between and individual, seemingly at random. But what love truly is... Is the living of virtue, qualities of love as described in 1 Corinthians 13:4-9, not to say that this is the only valid description of love, but as I am dealing with the church here, I will use their reference point.

So, when you go to church, do you find yourself becoming more aware of what love really is? How to live it towards anyone... For the entire amalgamation of humanity is your neighbour! If you are not growing more aware, if you are not by choice willing yourself to live love's qualities, then you are stagnant, idle, comfortable and filled with the blue pill liquid hell bent death!

Come oh ye slumbering blue pill shepherds who've long forgotten to be stewards of this earth and love as you learn to do so, your neighbour; be it a 'stranger' on the bus or a maiden who once served you coffee.

Where once the church held objectives to educate, endorse, build, mobilize missions so that everyone might learn to live love in every moment, which is to be 'Christ like' which in turn is to be 'Christian.' The church, at least in my experiences all over North America, is for the most part about staying alive, which is to say, keeping its people comfortable. Each denomination  having different view points, worship and sermon styles which are comfortable for the attendee. Though it will probably be said that people attend any particular church based on their comfort level of whom else attends.

Some sit in pews comparing Jane's unfortunate life to their own to build themselves up as the pastor speaks in fairy tales from ages long past, forgetting to adapt them to today's society so that the journey into living the qualities of love for peace and equalities sake may happen. Others come to stand or dance about the various meeting worship 'halls' to be emotionally filled, as love is an emotion.... Not. Whatever is comfortable and not whatever is challenging is the new church culture.

I could go on giving scenarios as to why I stand outside the church, but the main reason is that rather than getting to know each individual and thus beginning to understand them and move into a realm of living a compatible love (qualities of virtue) towards them, the citizenry of the church categorize, compare and hold to illegitimate comparisons as to keep the uncomfortable out!

I may be truly unique, and I look the part, having a double septum piercing, an odd beard and 'Jesus like' dark brown half matted curly locks which often can be seen up in a bun atop my head, along with 2 gauge holes in each ear lobe.

My only friend, whom I see very rarely as he lives in another Country, is a pastor of a small church which he started. His vision was to craft a place for those who yearned for love and were hurt by other churches or 'Christians' much as I have. He is the most dedicated, wise, pastoral metal mosh pit adoring father of one, nerd you will ever meet. He is the living embodiment of what it means to be Christian, and I say this will all confidence. Should ever I find myself 'rich' in my own eyes, which simply means being able to live beyond my very humble means, because of my music, novels or poetry he shall subsequently have support from me until I die!

I am not anti-church at all, I am anti-comfort. Hating with great fervor, idleness, stagnation, comparison, judgemental mindedness, blind followers and unpeaceful loveless quality living beliefs . All of these sadly are rife within the church, and rather than spending my time trying to 'fix' the comfortable, who adore their comfort, I shall instead be out in the world! Writing and trying to find out what it means to live as a little Christ in every moment I am aware and capable of doing so.

In earnest anticipation of,
Juton

Ps. If ever this black sheep of a 'christian' is allowed beyond the gates of heaven, surely the mentor I never met shall I seek to find, hug and thank for inspiring me to become the man I adore being!

PPs. This is not to say there aren't exceptions, merely my point was made to cause people to think. To be stirred up inside in whatever capacity they find themselves filled with as they read my words. Hate me or align yourself with me, it is not my duty to sway you either way. But merely to observe and tell tale.

0 comments :