Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Whole (Foods)

Working at Whole Foods

   It isn't just a job for me. I may just be 'that guy who still wears the name tag' at the bottom of the wrung, but I seek to live what I believe and I believe in Whole Foods Market, worldwide. Sure it's a massive corporate entity, where many would seek to blame for this or that in the realm of organics, G.M.O labelling, or possibly some rather insignificant imperfection or another, but through conscious capitalism it is something wholly unique and aspires to be as much.

     One would think that a very large (Cambie Street, Vancouver) organic market is the worst place to work for a recovering victim of multiple eating disorders while others might say it is the best. For me it helped in a gradual acceptance of food, though I was surrounded by it every hour of every day at work, even when I was off, I'd run or cycle by the store to see how things were doing and if I was needed as 'back up' if the front end was short staffed.

     I was always into recycling, even in a small town growing up where policy didn't reflect environmental compassion. Healthy eating, I tried, but usually I just cooked salads with tons of avocado, oh my goodness I love that fruit! Yes, it is a fruit, dig it. There's been so much I've learned since starting with Whole Foods about health and body, I always knew the soul (or will for those that prefer a logical landscape to said realms of humanity, some call it awareness or intellect as well) needed attention, healing and peace, but I really have learned to take care of the shell it's stuck in and it's been a blessing.

     The policies and code of conduct on the team level of Whole Foods empower me, to be who I am without hindrance. When I want to help a customer do this, that or any other thing I can. No questions asked, because Whole Foods is about positivity and helpfulness, charming and pleasant, respectful without hesitation. I can't count the times I've helped a customer carry their goods out to their car or down through the underground parkade, once I got a tip that I politely declined. I remember the woman dropped the bill and never looked back as she got in her car and drove off. It was donated to the Whole Planet Foundation that does micro financing around the world!

     Yet another aspect of Whole Foods I adore, the not for profit side, stuff doesn't get pulled to be put on a one day before expiry sale, no it comes off the shelf and goes to charity. I really do believe in micro finance, it is a powerful tool when used properly and all too often it is! Rather than aid which stabilizes what already exists, often perpetuating toxic situations, micro finance empowers people, most usually women, who lead their families and communities into a brighter future.

     While other Whole Foods employees enjoy their days off with adventures of what most would determine as 'normal,' I spend my time writing to empower equality. Even now I write in hopes that a brighter future may come of the discovery of these words. Thousands of poems, hundreds of blog posts, all I want to do is fight for a future I shan't ever see. Where all men stand equal side by side and the women mingled amidst the hand holding chain that'll span the world over.

In earnest anticipation of,
Juton

0 comments :